Toronto police launch investigation into badges for sale on eBay

bobpyefinch

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on this story?

• 2 weeks later...

I had those badges in my possession. I sold them ton an OPP officer ''for his collection'' and he ended up putting them for sale on Ebay. When I asked him why he did that, he never came back to me. Next thing I know Toronto police is all over looking for them. As advised by CPICA I gave them my side of the story. I have no update other than that.

What really gets to me is that I buy and sell badges to be able to grow my collection. When I sell or trade a badge with someone, I don't expect them to post them up on Ebay. In my book that is the number one rule of collecting. The buyer is a police officer too.. If he had kept them in his collection like I thought he agreed to do... if he did, none of this would have happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Erik

On 3/18/2017 at 9:00 AM, ErikLepine said:

...What really gets to me is that I buy and sell badges to be able to grow my collection. When I sell or trade a badge with someone, I don't expect them to post them up on Ebay. In my book that is the number one rule of collecting...

Exactly!!!  When I notice that a police service has issued a new style of flash I usually write a letter requesting a white one and a gold one.  In my letter I explicitly state that the patches are for my collection and will NOT be put on eBay or otherwise sold or traded away.  That worked well for me a couple of months ago when Chatham-Kent sent me white, gold, plus all three different subdueds :-)

Guest Sandmanbrian

Amazing what some will do to make money.  Very unethical to sell in a public forum.  Although I have seen s a few Toronto badges from US Dealers on Ebay.

they are obsolete.  Trading must be kept to genuine collectors.