Sign in to follow this  
René Rhéaume

Dowling OPP Detachment closing a good idea

René Rhéaume

Dowling OPP Detachment used to police  Chelmsford, Dowling , Cartier, Benny.  and all hwy 144 from Chelmsford to Gogama. They provided a great service to all small communities, and everyone knew the names of each OPP Constable. Just everyone information from just 15 kl past Dowling  you are in the remote area of many lakes and thick bushes. Dowling Detachment was a perfect location as it was quick access to remotes areas and serving unorganized communities. 

Since OPP closed the Dowling Detachment, OPP still have to provide service to Cartier , Benny (all local cottages within 50 kil. ranges) i don't have the data of how many cottages/camps , however, can tell many are staggered everywhere along 144. Now if there is any type of calls , it takes OPP 45 plus minutes from Sudbury to Dowling.  From Dowling a person can add an extra hour plus travelling depending where they need to go. In my opinion, Dowling Detachement  was a great location. Officers knew their residents in organized towship, new all the bush roads, issues that may have for certain calls etc.......... Citizens attempted to keep the Dowling Detachement as it was vital. Maybe OPP needs to reconsider another substation in Dowling.

René Rhéaume

this i must share with all members. i have family ties in Dowling. My grandfather's cousin Lionel Rhéaume used to own most of downtown area of Dowling . it was called the Rhéaume flat at one time. The OPP station was on Lionel Street, and just behing where cruisers would enter the garage was Rhéaume Street,   Once you were pass Dowling, you were driving back into the rough part of Canadian Shield  and thick bush.  lot of curses around, lakes , swamps, mountains. it was difficult to finish hwy   144. at one point  of construction was halted because too many mosquitos bothering workers.  

all members of Dowling Detachment were respected,  they have help many stranded motorists,saved a lot of lives, and were always present. They knew  small communities and main areas of remote places.  In my opinion, can see the cost saving of bringing all equipment from Sudbury . it's a busy place in the summer and just alike in the winter