Sign in to follow this  
SemperParatus

1920's era Police Athletics Medal

Question

SemperParatus   
SemperParatus

Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of Toronto Police Det-Sgt Edward E. Guthrie's First World War medals, along with a couple of athletic medals. The silver one pictured is from a Grand Trunk Railway athletics championship in 1914, from Guthrie's time as a railway clerk prior to his police career. He joined the TPF in 1921 following the war, as a clerk in the Detective Department, where his father worked. He eventually became a detective himself and was a pioneer in Fingerprint forensics - I even found a newspaper article from the 30's where a judge dismissed fingerprint evidence as something out of a "detective magazine" and found the accused Not Guilty.

599877bf1640a_MedalGroup.jpg.44b68976006be9584478bb8de994c88f.jpg

Anyhow I'm struggling to find what event the medal marked with "I-A-C (or C-A-I, of A-I-C, etc etc) POLICE" on the obverse and "Robbins Co. Attleboro" on the rear is from.

599878345d0f4_AthleticMedal.jpg.e19f0a89c7e916a72fe3acabc9593c29.jpg5998783bd5bec_AthleticMedal2.jpg.5441940d0e79ab5aeef61074718107e8.jpg

I imagine Guthrie was active in the Toronto Police Force Amateur Athletic Association, as his father was and he had competed in athletics during his previous railway career. I believe, due to the fact Robbin's Co. is in Massachusetts, USA, that it was an international event and the letters stand for something like International Police Athletics Championship.

Can anyone tell which event specifically it would be from? And would anyone know what (if any) would the correct ribbon for it be?

Cheers,

Matt

PS a little more on E.E. Guthrie

Image1.jpg.f6c340af9bd46b20d6c8a1194384665f.jpg

3 answers to this question

walkthebeat   
walkthebeat

Hi Matt.

Steve Green here. I am the "unofficial" Toronto Police Historian.

The medal has nothing to do with the CIA (haha) or the Amateur Athletic Association. Most likely presented to him for his expertise in finger printing and facial recognition. 

Here is the answer you are looking for below. If you require any information on DS Guthrie, you can email me at: walkthebeat@sympatico.ca.

599878345d0f4_AthleticMedal.jpg.e19f0a89c7e916a72fe3acabc9593c29.jpg

IACP_Logo.jpg

SemperParatus   
SemperParatus

Ha - that's an embarrassing oversight! Thanks so much Steve, and nice making your acquaintance.

Cheers,

Matt

walkthebeat   
walkthebeat

Matt:

I performed some research on Ed E. Guthrie. Here you go:

Presbyterian. Spent 2 1/2 years in the CEF.  25 years old when he joined TPF on Oct. 17, 1921. He was 5 ft. and 10 1/4 inches tall. Position : CLERK.

Spent 16 years and 2 months as a clerk (civilian service). On January 1, 1938 he was made an Acting Detective. His badge number at the time was #125.

On May 27, 1950, he was promoted to Detective Sergeant. Looks like because of his accomplishments as a clerk, he bypassed the standard rank procedure.

Hope this helps.

Steve

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this