Sign in to follow this  
bobpyefinch

Trying to track down information on this badge (History)

Question

bobpyefinch

I obtained these badges several years back, they come from Canada and are Queen Victoria era helmut plates.  I was told they were from a place called New Windsor.  I am trying to track down and confirm where these badges come from and any help is.  Does any one know where this coat of arms comes from.

The moto Pro Rece Grece Lege

Latin term or phrase: PRO REGE LEGE ET GREGE
Motto on coat of arms of Town of Perth, Ontario, Canada.

For the King, the Law and the People

New Windsor 1.jpg

New Windsor 2.jpg

New Windsor 3.jpg

New Windsor 4.jpg

Kingston Police 1930.jpg

2 answers to this question

Stratford 37

Hi Bob

The motto on that badge is allowed to be used by United Empire Loyalists according to the Canadian Heraldic Authority and according to the regulations of the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada.  New Windsor was a small town or fort located in the south western part of Quebec near the New York border and close to the historical county of Missisquoi in Quebec.  Sir Frederick Haldimand on July 1 1781 during the American revolution (following the signing of the declaration of Independence in 1776)  met at New Windsor with British and the so called American Rebels.  According to the sessional papers of the Dominion of Canada and other sources, he tried to broker negotiations for the independent Vermont republic.  They were watching for scouts from Vermont.  Ethan Allen of the United States, apparently reported to the meeting and accepted the offer brokered by Haldimand.  However the offer brokered apparently failed afterwards.  Haldimand was then responsible for bringing United Empire Loyalists into Canada and relocating them.  They were brought to Canada and relocated from New Windsor and other close towns in Quebec, up the St Lawrence Corridor to Kingston and areas around.  The corridor is also known as the Windsor corridor and now extends from Quebec City through to Windsor, Ontario.   These people also included Joseph Brant and the Mohawks, to Deseronto, Ontario and many others including Molly Brant, sister of Joseph Brant, to the Kingston area.  The old style coat arms for Kingston, Ontario used one crown and also used two crowns and now uses three crowns.  The motto is located at the bottom of the coat of arms as per http://www.lyttonpatrick.org/loyalist.html The coat of arms you have on those badges shows the Kingston coat of arms with two crowns as displayed in the old Kingston transit shield. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wiless/5933526814/ and in the Royal Kingston Curling shield http://www.flickriver.com/photos/wiless/5016365024/.  The view at the bottom of your badges is looking from Fort Henry Hill to towards Kingston.

I believe that you have Kingston, Ontario badges there.   Kingston was named the first capital of the Province of Canada on February 10, 1841.

bobpyefinch

Thank you for your hard work on this John.  I even brought these badges to Kingston when my wife had an appointment and said how I thought they looked like the Kingston Waterfront. I tried research to that effect with out any luck and I could not find New Windsor.   Now I know where to place these two Plates.  I have a couple of the Kingston round disk Queen Victoria Crown badges in my collection and another Plate as well.

Bob

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this