Subdued Patches

Babcock

Hi:

I noticed that subdued patches are becoming increasingly popular.  Some departments, depending on the units, have a wide variety of them in several colour variations such as white, gray, blue, green and gray on black.  Does anyone have any tips or advice as to what we should look for when purchasing subdued patches, specifically from Ontario and Québec?

Thanks

Gerry

Really difficult to say, but Montréal, Laval, Deux-Montagnes a lot of tribals from Québec have a lot of fake subdued patches. Easier to contact a collector  from the dept.

If interested, I can help you with Laval and have all images of real patches.

On 2015-11-25, 11:33:17, lavlev said:

If interested, I can help you with Laval and have all images of real patches.

Hi,

Thank you for the information and yes I would very much appreciate any assistance and images that you have of the Laval patches.

Thanks

Gerry

Please send me your email. It will be easier for me to send you some photos.

Oups, mine is lavlev@videotron.ca

• 1 year later...

How does CPICA determine that patches that are posted in the gallery are authentic and not reproductions or fakes? Are there any specific criteria which we can also use to determine the authenticity of items in our own collections? Can we compare our own patches against CPICA's images and make any kind of reliable determination as to authenticity on that basis alone, or do we need additional information (such as what is the backing material, etc.)? I have several subdued patches from Montreal, Vancouver and elsewhere which look authentic but how can I really know? Sometimes spotting differences can be attributed to different lots issued over time and they still represent authentic patches. eBay has made it easier to collect hard to get items, but it also has introduced a lot of fakes and reproductions. So determining authenticity is an essential art or skill we need to develop and possess. Would it be possible to flesh this topic out more to the benefit of all of us who are interested in this information?

Hi:

I posed your question to the Administrator of the site Bob Pyefinch and he indicated: We mark any know or fake patches on the site.  In the future we plan to add more know fake or repro patches to the site and encourage our members to submit fake and repro patches so we can share this information with other members.

I hope that this is helpful.

Gerry

Hi Gerry... in our gallery, we are trying to tag patches that we know as being Fake, Social or Prototypes.   If you (or anyone else) notices one that falls into one of these categories, please feel free to post a 'reply' to the image description and we'll update the item.  If you have one that is not listed in the gallery, please feel free to post it and let us know that it's a fake and we'll update the image appropriately.  Hopefully, we can all help each other by weeding out these items.

CPICA Image Tags.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-26 at 3:13 PM, mikestoltz said:

Hi Gerry... in our gallery, we are trying to tag patches that we know as being Fake, Social or Prototypes.   If you (or anyone else) notices one that falls into one of these categories, please feel free to post a 'reply' to the image description and we'll update the item.  If you have one that is not listed in the gallery, please feel free to post it and let us know that it's a fake and we'll update the image appropriately.  Hopefully, we can all help each other by weeding out these items.

CPICA Image Tags.jpg

Thanks for the information Mike.

Gerry

• 2 years later...

I get my subdued patches (and most of my patches) directly from the police chiefs. That way, I can be sure the patch is authentic, and not one of the pathetic fakes.
Along with the patches, I also collect "patch histories" with them, which is why I keep all emails from the various chiefs and unit commanders. On occasion, I also find
out about fakes. For example, Chief of Police Glenn Lickers, of the Six Nations Police Service in Ontario, told me via email, that the subdued green version of their patch
is a FAKE. It was never authorized by him. He has been chief since they were first formed.

There were rumours that the subdued green patches were ordered by their K9 Unit, but never picked up. According to Chief Lickers, this is FALSE.

Scott Boa

Ingersoll, Ontario